Monday, October 14, 2013

A Woman Alone




I am alone here in order to focus on studying Spanish and talk with people in their native Spanish tongue.  I have never traveled abroad without the company of friends or family and was initially nervous about the prospect of being alone in a foreign country.  However, I have not once felt unsafe.  My duena (landlord) Rosi tells me that the crime rate here is 0%.  I am guessing that she is biased however her input is comforting nonetheless.  She said that the people of La Herradura (In 2012 there were 4,248 inhabitants here- now increased to approximately 5,000 people) consists primarily of just a few families who having grown to fill the town.  Given that most people are related, everyone knows each other and will not inflict harm on others or create negative reputations for themselves.  Also, given the geographics of La Herradura and the way that the town is laid out primarily on one long strip (Paseo Andres Segovia ) along the beach and skirted by the mountains of the coast, one can not possibly get lost.   I have noticed umbrellas left on the beach for the users' return the next day.  Clearly an indicator of a trusting people and a safe place.

The only precaution that I was given to date was to closely guard my purse when I travel to Almunecar for the market on Fridays as it is very crowded there and the risk for being pick pocketed in that setting is real. 

Upon Sonya's (Spanish Language School of La Herradura owner) suggestion I bought a used vodafone for 10 euros and have text and calls for only 5 euros a week.  I immediately input Sonya and Rosi's phone numbers so now I am not alone after-all. 

I know there are people looking out for me here.  Also, Rosi and Paco walk up and down the paseo every evening between 8:00 and 9:00.  All I have to do is position myself to greet them and I can walk along with them and practice my Spanish.  



www.spanish-school-herradura.com
email info@spanish-school-herradura.com

No comments:

Post a Comment