Wednesday, October 30, 2013

You want me to translate?

Yesterday on my walk to the scuba shop for my morning dive, I was stopped by a car with a family asking me if I spoke Spanish.  I was proud to say yes.  I then proceeded to give them the information they were seeking as they asked what there was to do in La Herradura as they were passing through and were considering stopping.  I was able to tell them in Spanish that they could go kayaking, wind surfing, paddle boarding, horse back riding, etc.  They could visit the castle and swim. And of course I told them they could arrange to take Spanish lessons as a family at the Spanish school of La Herradura.  As yesterday also happened to be the "Festival of the Sea",  I also advised that they could go to the Civic Center and obtain a schedule of events as there were many activities for children planned along the beach for this weekend such as a turtle release, the creation of mandalas with rocks in the sand, etc.  I feel like I really got to know this town during my brief stay here.  It will be difficult to leave.

Then later in the evening,at a guitar concert that I was attending, I was asked to translate from English to Spanish as a woman wished to communicate her appreciation of the Flamenco guitar player's music.  I relayed her message in Spanish to the musician.  In summary she told him that she was reminded of the sea and footprints making marks in the sand whilst walking by listening to him play.  I was delighted to be utilized in the capacity of a translator.  This to me symbolizes that I am progressing in my goal to improve my Spanish speaking abilities for practical use through this immersion experience.  I hope to come back again - if not annually- to take lessons at the Spanish School of La Herradura as learning Spanish continues to be an ongoing goal for both my personal and professional development. 




www.spanish-school-herradura.com

No comments:

Post a Comment