Thursday, October 24, 2013

Listening practice with the seniors of La Herradura


Listening Practice with the Seniors of La Herradura


I am finding Spain to be a country whose people honor the dead with tremendous respect and tribute.  Twice I have encountered seniors who wish to show me pictures of their deceased love ones.  One was a mother of a son who was killed tragically in a motorcycle accident four years ago leaving behind 2 young children.  She tells me that she visits his grave every day of the week and brings flowers on Saturday.  Another is my neighbor here in La Herradura who is still grieving the death of his wife as recently as one year ago.  I am reminded of how life is fleeting and one must make the most of every day.




I am finding that I am able to have these conversations with the Spanish people of this town as the Spanish School of La Herradura is giving me the communication tools to connect with people in this way.  It is challenging, however and my teacher, Amelia tells me that even she has difficulty understanding the way that the seniors talk here.  They speak rapidly and seem to mumble their words together.  She encourages me to continue with my efforts, however as it good practice for listening.   




www.spanish-school-herradura.com
email info@spanish-school-herradura.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment