Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Transported to Spain by Classical Guitar - Already There!





Classical Guitar Concert at the Civic Center

 "Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Quote from Andres Segovia


On Saturday evening I attended a concert for Classical Guitar at the Civic Center here in La Herradura.  The evening featured two classical guitarists from England, Gary Ryan and Manus Noble.  It was thrilling to watch these exceptionally talented musicians playing on the same stage where Andre Segovia had played.  I learned that Andre Segovia was a resident of La Herradura in the summer and had a house in the mountains here.  My teacher, Jose at the Spanish School of La Herradura told us in class that the first guitar was made in Spain.

When I closed my eyes and listened to the compositions I was transported to other places as the musician had intended.  Each piece was preceded by a description of the title and intent of the song.  For example, the last composition was about a alien that comes to life and then dies thereby ending the concert, another was set in a "magical forest", there were other compositions that communicated Irish folk songs and some used African rythyms similar to the ones Paul Simon used in "Graceland".  One had a Morrocan sound and of course many of the songs were Spanish.  Thus, I was transported in my imagination to Ireland, Morroco and Spain.  When I opened my eyes I remembered that I didn't need to be transported to Spain because I am already here.  Really and truly I am here and I am so enriched as a result.



www.spanish-school-herradura.com
email info@spanish-school-herradura.com

No comments:

Post a Comment