Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Right or Left or Straight

Right or Left or Straight

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was invited to my classmate Maria's home after today's group Spanish lessons.  There I met her husband Carl, who had just come from his first private lesson with Amelia.  He had a penned letter D on his right hand to signify "derecha" (right) and a penned letter "I" on his left hand to signify (left).  We commiserated on the Spanish word for straight "derecho" being too close to the word for right "derecha" for my liking when seeking directions from people.  Derecha is right, derecho is straight.  How are we supposed to keep this derecho?

Following my lunch with Maria and Carl and their family I took a tennis lesson with Antonio at the nearby tennis club as recommended by Maria.  There I was able to practice the words "derecha" and "izquierda" as in tennis forehand in Spanish is "derecha" and the term used for backhand is "izquiera".   I guess that's one way to keep it "derecho" (straight).

www.spanish-school-herradura.com
email info@spanish-school-herradura.com

No comments:

Post a Comment