Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cast Sunlight and You'll be Alright




Kerry gifted me with this print on my last day


"Cast Sunlight and you'll be Alright" Lyrics from Jose Gonzalez song "Transmite sol y estaras bien"


I had a spontaneous encounter today with a woman Kerry Brown, who identified herself as a painter and writer.  She was crossing my path and asked if I spoke English.  She then showed me a crude drawing of a map with coarsely drawn lines and an X to mark the location of the residence of her artist friend here in La Herradura.  There were no identifying streets or markers to find the location of her pursuit.  Our only clue was to look for the stairs next to the church.  We set out together to find it.  In this way, I found myself thoroughly engaged in a fascinating conversation with this dynamic and articulate woman.  She spoke of being attracted to La Herradura due to the ability to find like minded people with a spiritual and creative side.  She talked about people mistakenly labeling self discovery as a "journey" when in fact one is already there.  I referenced Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz clicking her ruby shoes and finding she had it within herself all along to find courage and wisdom and a heart.

We both marveled at how lucky it was to have met as we both deviated briefly from our direct paths home each stopping at a store prior to bumping into each other on the street.  We were in agreement also in our beliefs that one can manifest such encounters by being genuinely open in our heart space to such beginnings and the intimacy that may follow.  She talked of the need to sift through societal and parental influences to discover the core, pure and unique sense of self.  She recommended the use of stillness to accomplish this objective as well as the restriction of media influences, speaking of television as people's prostration to the compulsion towards pleasure and pain.  She had things to say about self discipline as well as the psychology of language.  She talked about writing a book and the themes present in her painting and how she chooses the direction for her art.  She invited me to meet her friends who meet daily in the plaza for coffee.  I have an open invitation to join them as they have a consistent schedule for joining together.  Of course I accepted her invitation and met the owner of a school here in La Herradura for the making of Flamenco and Classical guitars as well as the  students of this fine craft.   Kerry analyzed my handwriting and told me that she can tell from my sample that  I am very generous, open and engaging and that this aspect of my personality is a very large part of my being.  She talked of other people she has known along the way and declared that "she is not afraid of losing people through truth."  I expect that I will see her again on Friday as she recommended I attend the classical guitar concert at the Civic Center of La Herradura.

Most likely I will see her sooner as I intend to join in with her group for coffee when my school schedule allows as much as possible.  She gave me permission to share the link to her art gallery as she is a painter of fine repute.  Her name is Kerry Brown www.Kerry-bb.nl and if you google search her name her website "Kerry Broomhead Brown" comes up easily.  If you take the time to look her up you will see that her paintings are very warm and reflect people in communion with themselves and others.  I have only been here for one week to date and feel fairly integrated into this community already.  Just consider how many more people I am opening up my world to meeting by learning Spanish!

www.spanish-school-herradura.com
email info@spanish-school-herradura.com

1 comment:

  1. I sit here in familiar surroundings, envious of your adventure thus far.

    "The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate." O. Henry

    ReplyDelete